Making it Legal: Florida Marriage License Details

It’s just a piece of paper, right?


Marriage is a big step and we want to make sure you have all the information you need to do this thing right.

Here’s what you need to know.

Out-of-state residents can get married the same day they obtain their licenses. A marriage license may be obtained Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Clerk of the Circuit Court's Office in any county.

Marriage License Application Information & Fees

  • Each person will need one valid form of I.D. – Photo I.D., valid driver's license, Military I.D. card, state I.D. card or valid passport.

  • Non-residents and residents who have not completed the premarital counseling course – $93.50.

  • Residents who have completed the course – $61.00.

Questions You May Have

Q. Is there a minimum waiting period to have a license before it is solemnized?

A. If you are an out-of-state resident, there is no waiting period. You can get married the same day you obtain your license. If you are a Florida resident, there is a minimum 3-day waiting period, unless you complete a 4-hour marriage prep course in the county.

Q. How long is a marriage license valid once it is issued?

A. The marriage must be solemnized within 60 days of issuance of the marriage license. The ceremony can be performed anywhere in the state of Florida.

Q. Who may perform marriage ceremonies?

A. A regularly ordained minister or other ordained clergy, elders in communion with a church, all judicial officers (judges) of the state of Florida, Public Notaries of the state of Florida and among Quakers or Friends in the manner and form used or practiced within these societies.

Q. Who is considered a "regularly ordained minister"?

A. He/she is a minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.

Q. Are blood tests and physical exams required?

A. No. The law requiring these tests was abolished Oct. 1, 1986.

Q. Must I apply for a marriage license in the county where I live or get married?

A. No, a marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county whether you live there or not.

Q. When and who should return the license to the clerk?

A. A marriage cannot be officially recorded until the license is returned to the Clerk. It should be returned within 10 days after the wedding. The party who performed the wedding is responsible for returning the completed license.